Thursday, February 5, 2009

What's Wrong with this Picture ?


Some Operators and Jobbers still don’t “Get it”

What is wrong with the picture to the above?

I took this with my celphone camera on Sunday, February 1st, while on the way to the Super Bowl get together Darcee and I were attending. We got off I-95 and needed some gas for the car, so I pulled into a prominent local jobber’s self-branded site. As I pulled up to the pumps, this sign, times eight, was looking out from each dispenser fueling point as I got out of the car. It says, in case it’s hard to read “If you don’t know your pump #, don’t expect us to Guess. Thank You.” Well, at least they thanked the customer at the end.

Where can we start on what message this sends to the customer pulling in to fuel up at this location?

Fiirstly, if there’s a real problem with people knowing what pump they are fueling on, how about switching the dark red numbers on a black background to a contrasting color? Remember, this unit isn’t subject to national branding appearance guidelines, it’s a local brand.

Secondly, you could computer print a sign and laminate it, perhaps worded with a more businesslike “Please note your pump # before approaching cashier” or something more customer friendly or appropriate. With the proliferation of computers and printers, almost any manager or employee has the capacity to get something printed with friendly wording.
And since I paid at the pump and wanted a receipt, you know what the next part of the story is... The dispenser flashed the “ Printing receipt” message, followed by the ever infuriating “See Cashier for receipt”! No paper in the dispenser’s receipt printers!

So, I headed inside to put an end to this quality customer experience at the cashier’s booth. Of course, the cashier never put down her celphone, and seemed disturbed and dismissive that I had disturbed her conversation with the “Receipt for pump 6, please” request. As I got back in the car, I told Darcee, “This is why customers love to buy gas!” Even if I had wanted to purchase something inside the store, I was pretty steamed by now. Remember, this was Super Bowl Sunday, 2 1/2 hours before the game. Prime C-Store time, if there ever was. Beer, Sodas, Chips, Dip, Candy, and people in a hurry, isn’t that what “Convenience” is all about?

Well, enough of my rant on this little incident. We all know business is getting tougher as consumers feel anxiety and concern of the state of the economy. Let’s not “Shoot ourselves in the foot” by not looking at our businesses through the customer’s eyes.

Condevco has created and rejuvenated brands and operations for many different clients in many different fields, retailing/distribution/services, so let us help you make it through. Contact Ron with your consulting inquiry. (Click Here)

No comments: